Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, September 17, 2007

Sooooo the sahoor that works?

First, I put that extra long so, because by bro-in-law thinks I use the word so alot. So I will pepper my statements and sentences with the word so, so that he can get a fair sprinkling of the so, in case he goes on a business trip and cannot read my blog on my sis-in-laws computer. So, hi out there. So much to tell you. Ok, so that is just a lie. Now, on to the real topic of this blog. Sahoor.

Trying to get the proper mix of items to eat for sahoor is a challenge. I am not a big eater of breakfasts, at least not that early. Anything before 9 should be cereal, and some juice. But that will not last through the day and keep me sated until iftar.

On the first day, I thought I would try a mix. Some scambled eggs, nicely spiced, toast (dry), oatmeal (cause it sticks to your ribs longer), a large glass of juice, a large glass of OJ, and some Kava (green tea). One word. Stuffed and barf. The oatmeal didn't taste right...too little sugar I think.

I surmise that you have to have a good combination of liquid...no dehydration...carbs (but not too many or you will be hungry soon...protein (that lasts long)...and something sweet (cause I want something!)
And it has to be food first. Don't get filled up on liquid first. Sure you will feel full, until you go to the bathroom for the first time!

So the next day, I kept the eggs, and the toast, and added some channa and nihari. Water and Juice. Brilliant.

Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Ayesha said...

wow. yeah, i used to do just half a bagel and a glass of juice for suhoor, but now with nursing i'm determined to do more, and i have actually VISIBLY GAINED WEIGHT because of this decision. anyway, i have been doing 2 glasses of water, egg on toast, something sweet - either yogurt or fruit chaat or hot cereal - a small glass of OJ, then a final glass of water. i need that liquid! but you gotta find what works for you. my hubby cant' eat suhoor at all. he just does a 16-oz glass of water, nothing more...

sarah said...

bowl of raisin bran + 2% milk, banana, chai, and big glass of water. i don't know, seems to work ok for me.

or you can take the munsoor school of thought... 2 parathas+leftovers from the night before...alternated with a 2 or 3 egg omelet and toast. Plus strawberry milk and a glass of water. and he still loses weight--typical guy! :)